Tuesday, 16 November 2010

Donnington Fireworks and Funfair

Well this post is another on the firework theme. However, this time we also had the opportunity to take some fairground shots at night.
I am enjoying this nightime theme, normally come the winter time I am a little lost for subjects.



I think on this occasion it was another first to try something different. Some worked better than others as you might expect.



The biggest challenge are the crowds. The event attracts upwards of 30,000 people. That is a lot of people for a nature type person that elects to get away from it all.
I can easily find myself irritated from a photographic angle for the sheer numbers of people that elect to stand in front of me as I am trying to take a shot. Or those that insist on putting children on their shoulder and then moving straight in front of my camera....or even worse wearing red! I am just a grumpy cow, LOL



To be honest, there were quite a lot of frustrations at this particular event. Probably the worst thing was that we set out with clear skies and I swear that the organisers waited for the rain before letting off the fireworks!
Taking images of fireworks in the rain is bad....really bad. Almost every shot ended up with diffraction from raindrops....so frustrating!!



But, my thanks to the stall that sold drinking chocolate laced with brandy...it was very acceptable. I also decided perhaps I should not complain too much given that the whole event is free, yep GRATIS! And the fireworks were lovely too....
So I shall just shut up moaning ;)

4 comments:

whatandysees said...

Last comment noted in my diary!.....:)

Thought you said you didn't have any decent shots?......

Andy........

sue said...

Your photos are fantastic as usual Chrissy but I know exactly what you mean about all the other bl**dy stupid people around at these events!

I'm older than you so better qualified to be a Grumpy old lady ... but ...welcome to the club!!

Carol said...

You take such great pictures and of moving objects no less...I can't even take a good picture of a drawing and it isn't even moving:) Hot chocolate and brandy? Sounds really good:)

CherryPie said...

Your photos of the event are fantastic. I did smile about your crowd challenge, it reminded me of my weekend away when my family members walked in front of most of the shots I was trying to take!!!