Monday, 10 November 2008

Bloggers Unite - Refugees


Last year was particularly bad for Shropshire with flooding. There were several days where it became fairly difficult to get to work. One in particular stands out in my mind. I had driven in the morning through deep water and roads that were literally running streams.
As I came back that evening, I reached a traffic jam going up the bank towards Much Wenlock. I had already travelled through water that was rising sharply a couple of miles back. After sitting there for a considerable time, I could only assume that Much Wenlock was impassable and I drove to the public house just down the road to phone home. I had no idea if I was going to be stranded, all I wanted to do was get home and have a cuddle with Andy. I was terrified!

Now imagine having no phone and instead of the floods, war and conflict is all around you and you have lost your loved ones. Or try to, I don’t think that we really can put ourselves in the minds of these people but we can help by raising awareness.
I confess that when I started researching material for this post, I hadn’t got a clue about the extent of the problem.
For example, there are thousands of people who have fled war torn areas who are in warehouse refugee camps. Whilst this doesn’t apply to all camps, many of these refugees are confined where they are virtually dependant on humanitarian assistance. They have no rights to earn a wage or buy property. Earlier this year, inhabitants of Osire camp peacefully demonstrated their plight, some of them have been there over 15 years in what can only be described as less than desirable conditions. They have since been banned from leaving the camp!
I have read stories of people sold as slaves. I am not going to list the awful individual plights of some of the cases that I have read, they are too sad. However, awareness and pressure on the relevant governments in essential if these people are ever to be provided with their very basic human rights. I do believe that all people should have the freedom to work and live.
Bloggers Unite

http://www.refugees.org/
http://www.redcross.org.uk/TLC.asp?id=81617

Bookmark and Share

6 comments:

RecycleCindy said...

Just wanted to leave a comment of thanks. Great post for Bloggers Unite Day. Thanks for supporting this important cause.

earthlingorgeous said...

I agree. We are lucky to be not in the same situation they are. I hope these things stop. It happens everywhere. It really is sad.

Earth

Chrissy said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Chrissy said...

Cindy, thank you for your comments, I know you are another crafter who has temporarily blogged a similar post :D
Earth, what a brilliant post you have made, I think we may both come from opposite sides of the planet but our thoughts of peace are shared.
To all my crafty friends, sorry for the sombre post, normal service will soon be resumed .....

Macpurp said...

great post. time for refelction has never been greater....time too for thanks for what we have


xoxox

Me-Me King said...

Thank you for raising awareness for this horrific situation. Excellent post!