Friday, 31 October 2008

Fridays Fable - Remember, Remember the 5th of November


Once again I have to use one of my most favourite artists of all time. JMW Turner and the The Burning of Houses of Lords and Commons.

Remember, remember the Fifth of November
The Gunpowder Treason and plot
I see no reason why Gunpowder Treason
Should ever be forgot

Guy Fawkes, Guy Fawkes 'twas his intent
To blow up the King and the Parliament
Three score barrels of powder below
Poor old England to overthrow

By God's providence he was catch'd
With a dark lantern and burning match
Holler boys, holler boys, ring bells ring
Holler boys, holler boys, God Save the King!

A penny loaf to feed the Pope
A farthing o'cheese to choke him
A pint of beer to rinse it down
A faggot of sticks to burn him

Burn him in a tub of tar
Burn him like a blazing star
Burn his body from his head
Then we'll say old Pope is dead

Hip Hip Hoorah!
Hip Hip Hoorah!
Hip Hip Hoorah!

I have to confess, I did wonder as I posted this - if someone burnt the houses of parliament today, would we lock 'em up or give them a medal, *evil chuckles*
Have a good weekend all........and me well I am gonna be missing next week, take care all :)

Bookmark and Share

8 comments:

Emma said...

I'll join you in that evil chuckle! We don't do the whole Halloween thing in our house..its been to Americanized but we make a big thing about Guy Fawkes night. Parkin, black peas, jacket spuds and checking the bonfire for hedgehogs before it gets lit! Brings back so many wonderful memories.
The altered CD I did a few days ago was for last weeks fable but I forgot to link it...shall I go and stand in the corner now! LOL!
Hugs Em.x

Emma said...

LOL...I think we were on each others blogs at the same time...great minds etc!! ;o)

Chrissy said...

Em, my fable is alway for inspiration, all I ever want is for people to have fun. I just love fireworks me, I am sorry for people that have to be careful but I LOVE mega loud repeating crazy fireworks. I have a history too. On new year I used to set off one really humungous firework every year and one year me and my Call blew up the next doors garden and set off evry alarm in the vicinity...........I had to go and pick up all of Brenda's bark for hours, PMSL...you will never know!

Emma said...

OMG! I bet you were popular! PMSL!!

nessy said...

as always great painting and fable!!
enjoy fire works night!!
vanessa xx

Jennifer Rose said...

I knew nothing about November 5th being a special day before I moved here. I actually hate it :/ if it wasn't for the idiotic people around here who tie fireworks to living animals to see what would happen or the people that toss them at houses I would probably enjoy the day as I love fireworks

Chrissy said...

Hey @ Jen. That is always sad :( There is a world of difference between having fun and hurting people/animals...

a message from gillyflower said...

great pic and poem
i am so glad i don't live next door to you lot lol
have a great bonfire night
gill